Friday, October 8, 2010

Ryan Jimmo's Wishlist Denied

It was reported Wednesday on MaximumFighting.com, the internet home of Mark Pavelich's Maximum Fighting Championships (MFC), that promotional mainstay Ryan Jimmo turned down a light heavyweight title fight with Glover Teixeira for the upcoming MFC 27 card scheduled for November 12.

Just last month we published a short article highlighting Jimmo's desire to face a challenge in the MFC cage. Jimmo expressed his desires through his Facebook page:



The MFC has hosted twenty-nine events since 2001, and has established itself as a mixed martial arts staple in the Canadian MMA scene. The promotion prides itself with a history of electrifying events, and its president/owner Mark Pavelich is known for making some ring-shaking matches. So, one can only assume that when Ryan Jimmo, a fighter who has fought nine of his fourteen career bouts with the promtion, pressed for an up-the-stakes fight for the promotion's next event, his call would be answered with a pop name fighter. Nothing against Glover Teixeira(10-2), a heavy-handed Brazilian with seven KO's to his name, but it's not hard to figure out that per his Facebook page, Jimmo had UFC/Strikeforce leftovers in mind. Also considering that his Facebook messages were posted only a week after the high octane Shark Fights 13 event which featured four light heavyweight UFC/Strikeforce veterans with Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou vs. Houston Alexander and Keith Jardine vs. Trevor Prangley lacing the main card, the light heavyweight buzz was still lingering heavily on the minds of MMA fans, and one hopeful Ryan Jimmo. Can you blame Jimmo for asking Pavelich and the MFC to bring it on? Most definitely not! The light heavyweight drinking well obviously has not run dry on the minor league circuit as evidenced by Shark Fights' event just last month. So, the real question becomes: does Pavelich Sports, Inc. have the buying power to bring in a worthy challenger for their long-standing light heavyweight fighter?

Mark Pavelich offerred the following statement on the subject:

"You don’t get to choose who you are going to fight for the title. The best opponent possible is going to be put in front of you and that’s the fight. Unlike the vast majority of other mixed martial arts companies, our organization puts a lot of value on our title belts and on our champions. That’s why you don’t see fighters were unqualified records fighting for MFC titles.

“If you want to be an MFC champion, you are going to have to fight the best guy. You don’t get to pick your spots here. I don't think Ryan has looked at the big picture. He and his team are focused on where Glover has fought and whether he's been on TV or not, and because of that Ryan is missing out on a great opportunity.


“I question why Ryan Jimmo would say that Glover Teixeira wasn’t worthy of a title fight. If I was Jimmo, I’d be willing to back up that statement in the ring, not run from it afterwards,” said Pavelich, who added that Teixeira is still going to fight on the MFC 27 card.

"My responsibility is to the fans of the Maximum Fighting Championship and choosing Glover Teixeira to fight Ryan Jimmo makes sense. Glover has won eigh in a row and Ryan is on a great streak too. A lot of people said Pat Healy didn't deserve a title fight against Ryan Ford because not many people had heard of him. But Healy came here and beat Ford - twice.

“Patrick Cote didn’t choose to fight Jason MacDonald in the very first MFC title fight. That’s the fight he was offered, he accepted it, and won the fight. The same goes for Antonio McKee, Roger Hollett, Emanuel Newton – none of them hand-picked who they were going to fight. Those guys all took whoever was thrown in front of them and went about their business as professionals."

QUOTE PROPS: MaximumFighting.com

Maybe if Mr. Pavelich offerred Jimmo some of whatever he's smoking this situation might be forgotten. Let's look at the facts: Most of the fighters mentioned have moved on to bigger promotions (hint, hint -- UFC), with the exception of Ryan Ford who just recently returned to the MFC following a fallout with Pavelich. Jason MacDonald returned to the UFC earlier this year. Patrick Cote was a one shot deal with the MFC who has pretty much established himself as a permanent fixture with the UFC. Antonio McKee just signed with the UFC and is slated to make his debut in January. Patrick Healy was an IFL veteran before making a MFC appearance, so I don't understand how "not many had ever heard of him?"

By all means, Mr. Pavelich should be proud of his ability to acquire talent, and move talent forward to bigger shows, but running fighters off doesn't count (eg. Ryan Ford, even though he's returned). When you look at all of the names mentioned above, they are all names of fighters who have fought familiar names with big show experience on MFC cards. Maybe with the exception of Marvin Eastman (who surely isn't relevant at this point in time), Jimmo has yet to see his name next to a quality big show veteran, who's name rings bells among fans. He simply wants the same high-caliber competition that he's witnessed his current and former MFC counterparts receive in their title fights. Jimmo has one fight remaning on his contract with the MFC. Who wants to bet it will be his last?

No comments:

Post a Comment